Sunday, April 18, 2010

Citizenship in School by Kliewer

1. "Community acceptance requires opportunity for individual participation in the group, but opportunity cannot exist outside community acceptance."

I chose this quote because I think it applies to every difference that people see. The quote is saying that without being accepted by the community a person who is seen as different has no chance to participate in a group. This quote really spoke out to me. I had to read it a few times but it really does make sence even beyond the context of the article.

2. "I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education."

This quote was taken from a girl who started to realize what these "special education" classes were all about. I chose the quote because I have always wondered if "special education" students hated being in different classes. I think I would hate it because I would just want to be in a regular classroom with all of my classmates.

3. "I don't tend to see Down syndrome as something. If you look at those three kids running around the room, they're incredibly different from one another... And with those three kids in the room it would be hard to say, "This is how you should teach kids with Down syndrome." They are not at all alike."

I chose this quote because I found it interesting that a person would say "This is how you shouls teach kids with Down syndrome." Not all kids without a disability learn alike so what makes this person think Down syndrome kids learn alike. Just because they share a disability does not mean they are totally alike.

This article was difficult for me to read. The beginning was hard to get through and I found myself skipping whole sections. Reading about the children's experiences was the only part I enjoyed. Kliewer is trying to say that students with Down syndrome should be treated just like any other student. They are thinking, creative individuals who have a lot to offer. These children should be welcomed into communities and groups just like kids without the disabilty. School citizenship only includes "normal kids" as part of their definition of diversity. This reminds me of SCWAAMP. It all goes back to this model and the different opportunities people get depending of what they are like. Able-bodied is one thing that is valued in life. What makes this the person's fault? I do not understand what people think the problem is with people who have a disability. I read some laws about disabilities in the school system.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comments on the last quote. Each and every child is so different, and their levels of ability are different. There are varying degrees of disability as well. You could be a 2nd grade teacher and have a student with mild disabilities who is a visual learner and reads at a 3rd grade level, a student with no disabilities who is an auditory learner and reads at a 2nd grade level, and a student who has moderate Downs and is a kinestheic learner and reads at a K level. Can you say they should all be taught in the same way? We can't say 'too bad for you, this is the way we're learning today' but how can you make individual accommodations for each kid?

    ReplyDelete