Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jonathan Kozol's "Amazing Grace"

Johnathan Kozol's "Amazing Grace" was a really astounding piece. The story was about children's lives in some of the most dangerous and poor streets of New York City. I found it crazy that a person could go from the seventh richest district in the nation to the poorest in nine stops on the train. It only takes 18 minutes to get between these two districts. The stories of families and people of St. Ann's Avenue are crushing to me and I just can't imagine people living that way. Unfortunatly, these people are never in the minds of most people in the US. Hardly any national news comes from those parts that people don't even know they exist.

1. "Were your parents mad at you?" He looked surprised by this. "Why would they be mad?" he asks. "God told us, 'Share!' " (p.8 Kozol)

This quote comes from a conversation between Kozol and a child named Cliffie. His family is very poor and his parents ask him to go out and get pizza. A poor man on the side of the road does not even ask him for the pizza but Cliffie knows that is what he wants. He shares the pizza because he has a very strong religious belief. Eventhough he knows how poor he is and how much he and his family needs those slices of pizza, he sees a man that is worse off that he is and helps him because God said to share. I found this quote inspiring knowing that a child so poor puts his needs aside to help a total stranger.

2. "Most of the addicts and prostitutes are black. Some are Hispanic. But they're all people of color. It made me feel frightened for my race." (p. 23 Kozol)

This quotation I found to be central in the text. The boy, Cliffie, is talking about his block and the demographic of the users and prostitutes. He says that he is worried for his race and I find this fascinating that such a young boy and realize the big picture. He knows wrong from right and many people group these races together labeling them as troubled. For this boy to understand that these people have a problem and that he needs to stay away from them is very positive and bright for his future.

3. Wiping a cloth across her throat, she says, "It was 93 degrees today. The air was so sticky you could hardly breathe. Hotter inside-but I'm afraid to open up the windows." (p. 19 Kozol)

This quote is from Mrs. Washington who is struggling with a sickness and is getting no relief with the heat. She is afraid to open the windows because she could be robbed or shot through them. I found this sad because she had to stay inside where it is hotter rather than get fresh air.

This reading was very easy and was very gripping. I found that I could not put the piece down and I was waiting for the next story. Although the stories many times were depressing, I found each of them to be a great insight into a world that not many of us think about on a daily basis.

By the end of the piece I found myself asking questions. What is next for these people? Who is going to help them? Why are we as fellow Americans not trying to help these people more? How come these people are not on the forefront of our help within the government?

4 comments:

  1. I really don't understand how these things are happening on such a scale in an industrialized nation. I'm sure there are ways to help improve the quality of their lives, but a couple of rich people just want more money than anyone needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this not the most depressing thing youve ever read in your life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with many of your comments. I felt compelled to continue reading although the content was difficult to read. Cliffie was wise beyond his years and very faithful. And David at the end looked to have a clear direction even though all the temptation and evil was around him to pull him in the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich people just dont care about the less fortunate, i agree with many of the comments, it was very depressing

    ReplyDelete