Thursday, March 18, 2010

"In the Service of What?" by Kahne and Westheimer

1. "The experiential and interpersonal components of service learning activities can achieve the first crucial step toward diminishing the sense of "otherness" that often separates students-particularly privileged students- from those in need." (p.8 Kahne)

Working with and creating bonds is the first step in making students think they everyone is very similar. "Otherness" is the crucial word in this quote and the diminishing of the word is key. Service learning is important in creating experiences for students of all races and classes in creating interpersonal interactions with other races and classes.

2. "It is the combination of service and critical analysis, not either by itself, that seems most likely to promote interest in and insight into these complex social issues." (p.11 Kahne)

I chose this quote thinking about our FNED class. We are participating in a service learning project and as well doing critical analysis with the article reading to coincide with out tutoring and future education careers. We learn and analyze student's behaviors, differences, privileges, as well as other components to create our own image of education.


3. "Students tutor, coach softball, paint playgrounds, and read to the elderly because they are interested in people, or because they want to learn a little about poverty and racism before they head out into the waiting corporate world..." (Kahne)

There is more to service learning than just tutoring and coaching. Doing these services just for your own experience seems selfish to me. People should do these things to make a difference and create bonds. Service learning is not just charity work.

I was not particularly engaged by this article due to the language and overall writing of the article. I did like some of the points made in the article because I am currently doing my service learning project. The point about service learning being just charity work to some people is a little disturbing to me. They think they are doing a good service without knowing who the people the are helping really are. I think FNED has helped me understand who the people I am helping really are and what they experience day to day. Along with being aware of the children's daily difficulties, FNED has taught me how to make myself a better educator towards all students no matter their background.

5 comments:

  1. I also got upset when it was mentioned in the article that service learning is just charity work - it is way more than that! Service learning is a real life experience, and it benefits everyone in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that service learning is way more than just charity work but I get that there are a lot of people out there that just consider it that. Not everyone can take the same ideals and results from it and though most of us really enjoy the FNED service learning project there are just as many out there who probably think it is a waste of time - which is where I agree with you that this is pretty disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was not happy with that idea that SL was simply charity work. In only 4 weeks at my school, I am having great experiences and learning many things about the kids and also myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, if you don't want to volunteer you shouldn't. I mean it's nice to but you shouldn't hate having to do it. You should do it because you want to make a difference in someones life, and in your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I selected the same 2nd quote as you - I thought it was important because I thought about our service learning and if I went there and walked away and didn't do the journals like we are and reflect back it wouldn't do as much for me and my future as a teaching as it is going to do with the addition of the reflecting in the journal

    ReplyDelete